Sunday, July 17, 2011

Irish Cuisine



After a week in Ireland, I figured I had to mention some of the food I sampled. I'm not a difficult person, and most of it did come in the form of fish and chips. It was delicious. Even the crummy stuff (the Kennedy Fried Chicken of fish & chips, shown below) was a life changing experience. Irish fried food is still fried food, but the slight rush of trying it somewhere new really makes the experience.





The best way to begin a day is with a full Irish breakfast. This is the real deal: potatoes, bacon (rashers), sausages, a fried egg, beans, and the somewhat unsettling black (blood) and white pudding. Yes, I ate it all. Multiple times. I don't know what this says about me, but I found the beans running into my eggs more disturbing than the blood flavored portion of the meal. My favorite version might be the one I had at the Portuguese greasy spoon I discovered in Cork. Who knew?


This is beef and Guinness stew: it's meat, potatoes and braised vegetables (which just taste like beef and Guinness). Another repeat offender on my list of things I consumed. I'm a big fan of any dinner that can be served in a big, spanking bowl.


Some locals in Cork asked me what I thought of Irish food. I explained that I had gorged myself on fried food, breakfast, and some beef/Guinness concoction. Their response: try the bacon and cabbage. So I did. This is apparently the dish that sends the message that you aren't a wussy tourist (because eating the blood pudding isn't a strong enough signal). The server at the pub seemed reluctant to let me order it, and he kept asking me if I was enjoying it. Also, it's quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment